Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ramblings on Lessons Learned



I had another opportunity to step in for a chorister this last Sunday and was reminded, yet again, that there is always more to learn in this calling. I was asked to review the 2nd and 3rd verses of "If I Listen With My Heart" with the children to help solidify the words. (Anybody else noticing how difficult this song can be for some of the kids?) I won't go into exactly what I did. Instead I want to list a few things I thought of as I planned and was reminded of as I taught.



*Sometimes it is best, especially in JP, to only focus on 1 verse of a review song. This helps the kids to really solidify the words and also allows for some additional songs that add the variety those little minds can benefit from.



*KISS: Keep It Simple Silly! I am guilty of planning elaborate singing times only to discover that something much simpler could have accomplished the same goal....and most times would have done so in a better way.



*I need to work harder at giving the kids a specific goal or directive when they repeat a song we are reviewing. Instead of just telling them I couldn't completely understand the words or hear them, I should challenge them to sing one particular work a little louder than the others (ie. "prophet"), or to complete some other task that will keep their focus and limit the chance things are getting monotonous.



*It is always a good idea to invite the teachers to take a break from singing so I can hear how well the children really know the words.



*There should never be a Sunday that is devoted to just singing "fun songs". We should always have a gospel theme associated with our plans. Each and every song in Primary is inspired and can help teach these children gospel truths that will strengthen their testimonies.



*It is always a good idea to get the little bodies in JP moving. This can be as simple as having everyone use their "pointer finger" to help you find a requested picture or object. It is amazing the attention and participation that you can get when you invite all the kids to help from their chairs, instead of just one.



*SP loves to be challenged. These kids are smart and we should not underestimate their musical ability and gospel understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment