Monday, January 31, 2011

Teaching: Treasure Hunt



Here is the map I referred to in one of the learning/teaching ideas listed in the previous post.




I like to use this treasure map for both learning and reviewing in Primary. I can't claim responsibility for the idea, as I got it from another chorister years ago. Basically this is a map of my Primary room that I have labeled with different Gospel, LDS or Book of Mormon terms. Here is the key:



  • Chairs: Waters of Mormon

  • Aisle: Bridge of Friendship

  • Podium: Mount Reverence

  • Window: Light of Faith

  • Talk/Scripture Chairs: Hills of Truth

  • Table up front (or the chairs where the presidency sit): Island of Love

  • Piano: Songbird Tree

  • Extra Chairs on side of room: no name, just made it look like a forest

  • Cabinet in back: Bishop's Storehouse

  • Back Door: Volcano of No Return (this one is completely made up)

  • Chairs where guests/parents sit when they visit: Watch Tower

I try to make one map per class and then they can share. The first time the kids see this map, I do not tell them that it is our primary room. Instead I just tell them that it is a map to the "treasures" they are seeking. It is fun to challenge them to figure it out and they feel so good when they do! I like to laminate it and then use the number stickers you see to depict where the "treasures" are. This way, I can take the stickers off and put them in new places for the next time I use the map.


The "treasures" I use are usually words/pictures that can be hidden pretty much anywhere in the room. This works great for teaching a song, but you can also use it as a motivator or tool for repeating since you could hide puzzle pieces or letters to spell out a special word, etc.


I don't really use this map too often so that it becomes a special treat for the kids. I have had great success with it!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for all of the time that you put into your blog. I really appreciate all of the great ideas. You help my creative juice get flowing.

    In regards to the treasure map - how do you actually have the kids find the treasure. Do you assign each class a certain treasure, call on individual kids, have the whole class looking together, etc. I was just curious what you have found to work the best.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! What a fun way to get the kids minds and bodies working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle:

    Sorry it took me so long to reply (sick kids). I have tried pretty much every way to have the kids look for the treasure. I think if I have to choose I would go with the classes because it helps the kids work together for a common goal and keeps more of them focused and involved. (My primary has always had 75-100 kids each in Senior and Junior)

    I would love to hear what works for you, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should clarify: I would have each class responsible for a treasure, with one person finding and the others pointing or telling them where to go.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete