
There are 8 wards in my stake, each with 2-6 Nurserys. This is on top of the 100-200 kids in Junior and Senior Primary. As a result, the Primary Chorister does not have the time to take care of music in Nursery. I still think music is a vital and essential part of Nursery. Why?
- I think the kids can not only learn new songs, but also learn Gospel principles through song
- They can feel the Spirit as they sing or listen to the songs
- Music time is a great break for the kids and teachers
- Music time can help those kids who are having a difficult time transitioning into Nursery (I've seen this with all three of my boys).
- This is a great time to start teaching the children those "core" Primary songs they will sing at church and home for the rest of their lives
- Music time adds to the necessary structure and routine in Nursery
- It's FUN!!!
- There are more reasons....those are just my top 7 :)
So....as the Stake Primary Music Leader I feel it is my responsibility to help support and encourage each ward to devote time each Sunday to music in Nursery. To this end, I have created what I call a "Nursery Orientation" folder. In it, I have included basic information on singing with the children, as well as several ideas on how to accomplish it successfully. I am also providing each ward with a new "Nursery Music Bag" to keep all music supplies in (comes in handy for subs) and a 'Gone Fishin' game I created (click on the picture above) that can be used to guide the music time and help the children participate and stay focused and engaged. I am hoping this will help those in our stake who have been called to be the Nursery Music Leader and those wards who have the teachers or volunteers lead the music.
I have added three new files on my sidebar that have all the documents and pictures I used for the orientation folder and games. I realize that there are so many different ways to go about music in Nursery.....the important thing is to include it as part of the routine. The children and teachers will benefit from this important activity.
**Sidenote: I think the wiggle worms idea on the "Primary" blog (on sidebar) would also work great in Nursery...check it out!!!
**For any interested in the 'Gone Fishin' Game (simple, but effective):
- Laminate 9 large fish
- On the back of each fish: designate a theme and a few songs that can be sung with that theme. I did this to help those who are "filling in" or are not sure what to sing. A chorister could easily decide what song to sing with each theme. I taped this info on in case a chorister wants to use the fish in an alternate game or select their own themes/songs. Check out the 'Gone Fishin' documents for the picture, themes, and songs
- Follow the directions included in the game (just click on the picture above to read those)
Thank you so much for this info. It can be hard to wrangle that many kids and feel like they are somewhat organized. Right now I am the primary chorister and the presidency has asked that I do the nursery music once a month. Our nursery has 2 separate classes but they combine for singing time. So sometimes it is a little chaotic. I'm wondering if you have the lists that you mention as "contents of this packet" in the orientation folder that would be easy to upload as well? Particularly the list of possible objects for songs. That would be really helpful!
ReplyDelete