Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Teaching: Hand Signs



Teaching a new song can be a challenge....especially when you have 50-100 little ones and "big kids" squiggling around in their seats or talking while you try to teach them. No matter how many ideas I see or come up with this is THE ONE that always works. It also is the one that ALWAYS works best. I always have high hopes of finding something different and better; I hate the idea of always introducing and teaching a song in the same way. After more than a decade, I have decided, though, that "they" might be right when "they" say: if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I will add that I like to use this idea in conjunction with other teaching methods, though. I usually use this idea, along with directed listening, to introduce the song and get all the words "out there" and then move on to another teaching method to really get into the song and its meaning.

This is a basic idea. Come up with a hand sign to go with each key word or small phrase in the song. You can also learn the actual sign language and teach that to the children. Either way, this method works because it gets their bodies moving, keeps them thinking, and solidifies the words with an action. I think this method is a step above the "picture method" for initial teaching because the kids can practice and use the actions anytime, anywhere; they don't need you to continally supply the pictures.

There are ways to add a little variety to this method. If you are like me and need to switch things up, try using different motivational tools or challenges for the kids as they are learning and reviewing the words and hand signs. Some examples:

  • Sing each small phrase and challenge the kids to come up with an appropriate action

  • Take pictures of different children doing each action as you sing through the song. You can use this in the following weeks as a "homemade" flip chart. The kids will love it!

  • Hum the key words as you sign them, sing all the other words

  • Only sing the key words you sign, hum all the other words

  • Place a bunch of "directed listening" questions in a can and let the kids answer the questions as they learn and practice the words and sigsn for each phrase

  • Play "around the world" by letting the kids face a different direction for each phrase they learn/sing. This means you will be moving around a lot!

  • Have a singular goal to measure how much of the song they have learned. This can be a picture they color in as each phrase is learned, filling a vase with colored water, etc.


Last note on this topic: I have learned that kids don't get bored with this idea. You might, but they dont'.



Happy Singing!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. I use ASL hand signing a lot! My Jr. primary LOVE it. The 3 and 4 yr. olds are quite good at it. We sing Praise to The Man using mostly ASL and some made up signs. They love this song! I've taken a looong time to teach it making sure they KNOW each phrase well before moving on. I've used lots of different activities each week so they never get bored. I love your blog. Thanks for all your ideas. I've been the chorister for 1 month now. It's fun and exciting!

    ReplyDelete